What we look for
DFNZ prefers dairy farms in the best dairy regions of New Zealand, including Canterbury, Southland, Waikato and parts of Otago. Below are a number of things that we look for in dairy farms. The regional location is the most important.
- Canterbury/Southland/Waikato/Otago as preferred regions.
- Within 20km of key farm supplies stores.
- Ideally less than 1 hour from a main airport (so that management can easily get there).
- Less than a 30 minute school bus ride to a good secondary school (makes the farm more attractive to good sharemilkers).
- Mostly flat contour.
- Centrally sited milking shed.
- Good water supply.
Farm purchase price needs to reflect productivity. We like properties with easily realisable potential. We look for limiting factors such as:
- Low soil fertility.
- Poor pastures that could be resown with improved varieties.
- Housing that can be replaced, modernised or upgraded.
- Drainage and irrigation.
- Effluent infrastructure.
as these can be rectified relatively quickly with wise investment.