NZ is the world’s largest manufacturer and exporter of Whole Milk Powder (WMP).
Although NZ produces approximately 3% of global milk production – it is the world’s top dairy exporter and accounts for approximately 30% of the world’s internationally traded dairy products.
NZ has low dairy production costs due to:
- Predominantly pasture based farming.
- Large scale herds and processing.
- High levels of Research & Development.
- Temperate climate.
- Abundant rainfall.
- Sound trade relationships and Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) reducing/removing tariffs and subsidies.
The dairy sector has outperformed the NZ economy by 65% since 1992.
Fonterra dominates downstream milk processing (84%).
Other major NZ dairy processors include:
- Open Country Dairy Ltd (6%).
- Synlait Milk Ltd (Synlait) (3%).
- Westland Co-Operative Dairy Company Ltd (3%).
- Tatua Co-Operative Dairy Company Ltd (1%).
- Oceania Dairy Ltd (1%).