Supporting Native Ecosystems.
DFNZ focusses on managing Bush Areas, Pests and Water
- Fencing protected areas
- Weeding out introduced/exotic species
- Enhancing – voluntarily retiring remnants of bush, fencing and under-planting
- Pest control
- Possums and mustelids (ferrets, stoats etc) are target species to eliminate
- Eliminating pests is beneficial to nearby flora and fauna even if there is little bush on the farm
DFNZ works in partnership with Regional Environmental Councils, as well as Fish & Game New Zealand, to develop quality systems and environments on our farms.
- Key issues to manage include Nitrogen, Sediment, Phosphorus and Coliforms
- Improve fencing to prevent run-off into drains and watercourses, ensure stock exclusion from water-ways
- Re-shape races to direct run-off away from watercourses
- Create wetlands in sloping areas to capture sediment
- Source irrigation water from sustainable supplies and apply efficiently
- Discharge effluent via suitable minimal-application methods